Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
E-mail this article
Leave a Comment
Print this Article

McLean man charged after standoff

A 62-year-old McLean man has been charged with multiple offenses after a noise complaint from his neighbors resulted in a nearly 8-hour standoff with police. Fairfax County police said that around 2 a.m. April 15, police responded to a complaint of loud music at an apartment in the 8300 block of Greensboro Drive. Upon their arrival, police said Michael Gordon, 62, threatened through the door of his apartment to shoot officers if they entered.

Police said they remained at the scene overnight because they detected a “strong hazardous materials odor.”

At around 9:30 a.m., officers forced themselves into the apartment and took Gordon into custody.

Gordon’s two dogs also were taken into custody by county Animal Control officers.

Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department fire investigators later charged Gordon with several felonies, including the burning of an occupied building; threatening to burn or damage a building; and setting a fire capable of spreading.

Fire investigators said an unidentified ignitable liquid was found in Gordon’s apartment and is being tested by a laboratory. Fire investigators also said damage from “several fires in the apartment” is estimated at $10,000.

Police said in a separate release that there were no active fires when they entered the apartment and that there were no injuries. Gordon has been transported to a local hospital for evaluation, according to police.

City of Fairfax police chief retiring

Rick Rappoport, chief of the City of Fairfax Police Department for the last 13 years, announced April 14 that he will retire as of May 9.

Rappoport, who previously was a Fairfax County Police officer for 24 years before becoming Fairfax City’s top cop, has announced that he will take a position with the Amtrak police force as a deputy chief for the mid-Atlantic and southwest region.

MWAA names new VP of public safety

After an extensive public search, the board of directors of the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority announced April 16 that it confirmed former Richmond Police Chief Bryan Norwood as its new vice president for public safety.

According to MWAA, Norwood began his law enforcement career as a police officer in New Haven, Conn., as a 1989 graduate of its police academy. After rising through the ranks to assistant chief in 2002, Norwood was appointed chief of police in Bridgeport, Conn., in 2006; then as chief of police in Richmond in 2008. He also was a special agent for the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration from 1998 to 1999. At the airports authority, Norwood will oversee the management and operations of the authority’s Fire and Rescue Department and Police Department at Reagan National and Dulles International airports and the Dulles Toll Road. Both departments are full-service agencies.

Teen charged with causing $30K in vehicle damage

Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department fire investigators have charged a teenage girl with setting fire to three vehicles on April 10 in the 11600 block of North Shore Drive in Reston.

Fire officials said the 17-year-old was charged with setting a fire capable of spreading, and intentionally burning personal property with a value greater than $200. Damage is estimated at $30,000.

— Gregg MacDonald