Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
E-mail this article
Leave a Comment
Print this Article

Fairfax City man sentenced in road rage death

On Feb. 26, Librado Cena, 58, of Fairfax City was given a suggested sentence by a Fairfax County jury to serve three months in jail and pay a $2,500 fine for misdemeanor assault.

Cena’s conviction the previous day stemmed from a road rage incident on April 16, 2013, that ultimately resulted in the death of Fairfax City resident William Hays O’Brien, 63.

City of Fairfax Police said O’Brien died April 26, 2013, from wounds he sustained after being assaulted.

Police said that O’Brien reported that at about 11:20 a.m. on April 16, he was assaulted in the parking lot of Fair City Mall, at 9600 Main St., after a traffic incident in which he beeped at Cena’s vehicle. The two men got out of their respective vehicles and scuffled.

A short time later, O’Brien was transported to a medical facility and hospitalized for treatment of a head injury. It was revealed in court that O’Brien had been taking a prescription blood thinner called Pradaxa that made the injury severe because his blood would not clot.

On April 18, Cena, of the 9800 block of Saint Cloud Court in Fairfax, was taken into custody.

Police said Cena was interviewed by police and transported to the Adult Detention Center, where he was charged with aggravated malicious wounding. His charges were later reduced to misdemeanor assault and battery. At the time of his arrest, Cena was listed as the director of religious education at St. Leo the Great Catholic Church in Fairfax. A judge will formally impose Cena’s sentence May 9.

Falls Church woman hit, killed by Maryland bus

A 62-year-old woman was killed after she was hit by a Ride-On bus at the Rockville Metro station Feb. 25. Anicia Caringal Castillo, of Falls Church was struck as she walked across the Metro station entrance at around 7:30 p.m. Castillo later died at a local hospital, Montgomery County police said in a news release.

Police said the driver, Daryll Norvell Banks, 42, of Lusby, Md., was trying to make a left turn into the station. Two passengers were on the bus, but they left before police arrived.

Montgomery County spokeswoman Esther Bowring said Banks has been placed on administrative leave. He’s been a county driver since 2011, according to Bowring. Police are investigating the crash; those with information are asked to call 240-773-6620.

Annandale couple charged in fake casino chip case

Maryland State Police have charged two Annandale residents and are seeking two others in connection with use of fraudulent casino chips in unrelated incidents at an Anne Arundel County casino last month.

Police charged Rosa A. Nguyen, 36, and her husband, Vuong Q. Truong, 37, both of Annandale.

Police said Nguyen is charged with one count of theft between $1,000 and $10,000, and two counts of conspiracy to commit theft between $1,000 and $10,000. Truong is charged with four counts of committing a theft scheme and one count of conspiracy to commit theft. A court commissioner issued criminal summonses for both and they were served on Feb. 19.

Police said the investigation began Jan. 20 when Maryland State Police Criminal Enforcement Division investigators were called to the Maryland Live! Casino in Hanover for a report of counterfeit poker chips being used in the casino. Officials at Maryland Live! reported they had descriptions of four suspects who had passed counterfeit $100 poker chips on two occasions.

Maryland State Police investigators enlisted the assistance of the Maryland Coordination and Analysis Center, the Virginia State Police, and Homeland Security Investigations. Their investigation resulted in the issuance of search warrants that were served by Virginia State Police on Feb. 19 in Annandale. Police said further investigation revealed Rosa Nguyen allegedly purchased $150,000 worth of counterfeit casino chips via the Internet for $12,000. The chips were then altered to appear similar to Maryland Live! Casino chips.

Investigators said they then learned many of the counterfeit chips had been discarded by one of the suspects in Lake Accotink in Springfield, not far from the suspects’ home.

Fortunately for police, the chips floated.

Investigators were able to recover about $115,000 worth of the counterfeit casino chips from the lake. Police are seeking charges against two additional suspects.

— Gregg MacDonald