Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
E-mail this article
Leave a Comment
Print this Article

Reston man dies in car crash

Fairfax County Police are investigating a fatal crash that took place on Sunrise Valley Drive near Commerce Park Drive.

Police said an 82-year-old woman was driving a 2000 Subaru Legacy when she struck the rear of a Fairfax Connector bus while she attempted to change lanes at around 7 p.m. on Aug. 23.

The driver and her 82-year-old passenger were both transported to Inova Fairfax Hospital. The passenger, Webster Griffith of Fieldstone Lane in Reston, was pronounced dead at the hospital.

Speed and alcohol were not factors in the crash. No charges have been placed. Police say Crash Reconstruction Unit detectives are continuing their investigation.

Body recovered from Lake Thoreau in Reston

Fairfax County police have identified a body police divers recovered from Lake Thoreau in Reston on Aug. 23 as Roy Cooley, 91, of Reston.

Officers aboard a police helicopter sighted Cooley’s body in the lake at about 10 a.m. while they were searching for him after he was reported missing in the South Lakes area of Reston at about 9:30 a.m.

Witnesses at South Lakes Village Shopping Center said a walker and some articles of clothing were lying on the dock of the lake at the shopping center before police and rescue teams arrived. Police did not comment as to whether they belonged to Cooley.

“I saw them laying there,” said Lauren Reynolds of Reston, who was walking her dog on the dock Friday morning and stayed as the recovery took place. “I didn’t really think much of it until police showed up and I saw them putting on diving suits.”

Friday’s recovery continued until 1 p.m. and coincided with lunch crowds making their way to the waterside restaurants in the shopping center, requiring police to put up yellow “do not cross” tape around the recovery scene.

“Parking in this area is normally very congested,” said Mitch Isaacson, who was on his way to lunch. “I think this tragic event got a lot of people’s attention as soon as they entered the center because there was literally nowhere to park.”

FBI seeks information about Alexandria bandit

The FBI is seeking information about a suspect who may be responsible for robbing a bank four times between March 2010 and July 2013.

According to the FBI, all four robberies occurred at the TD Bank located at 6615 Richmond Highway in Alexandria, across the street from the Beacon Hill Shopping Center. According to the FBI, the suspect has been dubbed the “Beacon Hill Bandit” and the FBI’s Washington Field Office is offering a reward of up to $5,000 for information that leads to his identification, arrest and conviction.

According to the FBI,the Beacon Hill Bandit has demonstrated the same actions on all four occasions. Each time he entered the bank, he appeared to be preoccupied on his cell phone. He would then approach a victim teller, verbally demand money or pass a note demanding money and provide a plastic grocery bag to the teller. On three occasions, he implied that he had a weapon, according to the FBI. After receiving the money, they said the suspect left the bank on foot in the direction of Chili’s restaurant on Richmond Highway.

Convenience store robbery in Springfield

Fairfaix County Police are investigating a robbery that occurred Aug. 24 around 9:15 p.m.

Police said two men entered the 7-Eleven located at 7225 Old Keene Mill Road and one displayed a handgun while the other took the cash drawer. The suspects then fled on foot. There were no injuries.

Attempted burglary and assault in Burke

Fairfax County Police are investigating a burglary they say occurred Aug. 23 around 6:45 p.m.,

Police said a 37-year-old woman answered a knock on her door in the 10200 block of Scarborough Commons Court. A man standing at the door spoke briefly with the woman and then attempted to push his way inside the residence. Police said the suspect also struck the woman in the upper body.

Police said the woman was able to slam the door shut and the suspect fled on foot.

The woman sustained minor injuries and did not require transport to a hospital, police said.

State Supreme Court to hear Centreville family’s lawsuit against Virginia Tech

On Sept. 12, the Virginia Supreme Court will hear arguments in the wrongful death suit brought against the commonwealth by the parents of the late Julia Pryde and Erin Peterson, according to a docket on the court’s website.

Celeste and Grafton Peterson of Centerville, along with Harry and Karen Pryde of New Jersey, filed the original lawsuits in 2009. The Peterson’s daughter, Erin — a 2006 graduate of Westfield High School — was one of the 32 people killed by fellow Westfield graduate Seung-Hui Cho in the rampage.

The two families were originally awarded $4 million by a Montgomery County, Va., jury, but the jury awards were eventually reduced to $100,000 for each plaintiff under the Virginia Tort Claims Act, which caps civil damages against the commonwealth. The case was later appealed.

Centreville man convicted of sending bomb-making materials to Iran

Mehdi Khorramshahgol, 50, of Centreville, was convicted on Tuesday by a federal judge after a bench trial for violating U.S. economic sanctions on Iran by sending explosion-graded industrial parts to a petrochemical company in Iran, according to federal court records.

Khorramshahgol faces a potential maximum penalty of 90 years of imprisonment when he is sentenced on Nov. 1, 2013.

Khorramshahgol was indicted on April 25, 2013, by a federal grand jury on four counts of violating and conspiring to violate the United States economic sanction on Iran, one count of conspiring to defraud the United States, and one count of aiding and abetting a material false statement. According to court records and evidence at trial, Khorramshahgol conspired with others in Iran to purchase industrial goods from United States businesses for the Iranian petrochemical industry. Khorramshahgol also falsely represented that the end users for his purchases were in Dubai. After Khorramshahgol purchased the goods and shipped them to Dubai, other co-conspirators repackaged the goods for onward shipment to Tehran. The conspiracy used a series of false invoices, false end users, and front companies to hide its illicit activity, court records state.