Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
E-mail this article
Leave a Comment
Print this Article

Police ID body in Fairfax park as missing student

Fairfax County police have confirmed that a body discovered Oct. 8 in Fairfax City’s Thaiss Park is that of a W.T. Woodson High School student who had been missing since Oct. 1.

Police said circumstances surrounding the disappearance of Bryan Glenn, 17, were unusual, but have not disclosed the cause or manner of his death.

Glenn’s car was found Oct. 2 at the park, less than two miles from Woodson High School. Police said that Glenn was last seen at the school about 7 a.m. the previous day, but that he did not attend classes. Glenn’s parents released a photo flyer of him stating that he may also have been at a Dunkin Donuts on Fairfax Boulevard at 8 a.m. Oct. 1.

Shortly after Glenn’s body was discovered in the park a week later, police posted on Twitter that the case was likely “an apparent suicide.” Police later recanted that statement, tweeting: “Too early in investigation of remains found in Thaiss Park to determine circumstances of death. Plz disregard earlier post.”

That same evening, Glenn’s parents put out the following statement:

“With tremendous sadness in our hearts, we learned this afternoon of our son Bryan’s death. This devastating news has been a great shock to our family and friends. Right now this family and our community are grieving and we need to let the investigation run its course. Thanks to everyone in the community and around the globe who offered their love, prayers and support to our family over the past week. Your kindness has given us strength during this difficult time and has touched our hearts forever. Our family would like to express our profound gratitude to the hundreds of volunteers and search team leads. Special thanks to the media and Fairfax area businesses for their continued support.”

Alexandria man charged with murder

Manuel F. Garces, 30, of the 6700 block of Kenmont Place in Alexandria, has been charged with murder in the death of Mark Earl Ives, 30, also of Alexandria.

County police said Ives was found dead in the 5400 block of Broadmoor Street just before 2 a.m. Oct. 7. Police initially said it appeared Ives had been assaulted by an acquaintance and died as a result of trauma to the upper body. Police did not elaborate as to any suspected motive in the case.

Detectives later arrested Garces and charged him with murder. He is being held without bond. No attorney information for Garces had been made public by press time.

Police continue search in Fairfax Station homicide

Homicide detectives still are seeking leads in a two-year investigation of the murder of Yong Suk Yun, 61, of Fairfax Station.

Police say Yun was killed on Oct. 7, 2010, in his home in the 5700 block of Ladues End Court.

Yun owned a car wash in Chantilly, and detectives said they believe Yun’s murder stemmed from a robbery.

The reward for information leading to an arrest in the case has increased to $70,000.

Police said they have interviewed over 100 people, watched over 100 hours of video and exhausted numerous leads surrounding the homicide. They also created a video in Korean language in their efforts to reach out to non-English speakers:

Detectives continue to ask for the public’s assistance in reporting any information to the police. “We are committed to solving this murder and continue our plea to the community for information,” said lead detective Connie Morris.