- The Enterprise
- The Recorder
A Waldorf man already charged with robbing a couple in their mid-60s inside their home more than three months ago has been arrested again on suspicion that he led a pack of teenagers in two Saturday night robberies outside of St. Charles Towne Center.
Police arrested Julien Antonio Fort, 20, and eight juveniles, ages 14 to 17, near a Westlake convenience store in connection with the assault and robberies of a young couple waiting to see a movie at the mall theater and a man behind a nearby McDonald’s restaurant on Mall Circle, charging papers state.
Charles County sheriff’s officer J. Hatfield received a call at 10:56 p.m. May 5 regarding an assault and theft outside of the movie theater, where a 21-year-old man and 18-year-old woman told him they were swarmed by eight to 10 people while sitting in their car.
Some of the assailants began punching the man in the face through his open driver’s-side window while the rest opened the passenger-side door and struck the woman in the face three times before stealing her purse, the papers state.
They then opened the driver’s-side door, ripped the boyfriend out of the car and stomped and kicked him on the ground before fleeing behind the theater.
Meanwhile, another man reported that Fort and several others had assaulted him behind the McDonald’s and stolen $380 out of his wallet, according to court records.
Several officers began searching near the Lancaster neighborhood and found Fort and the juveniles. All were arrested and each was charged with two counts of robbery and two counts of assault.
Hatfield drove the woman to the convenience store, where she identified Fort as one of the men who assaulted her and her boyfriend and stole her purse. The boyfriend said he was “95 percent” sure Fort was involved in the robbery, the papers state.
Fort was one of three Waldorf men charged with breaking in to a home on Mockingbird Drive the morning of Jan. 26 and robbing an elderly couple at gunpoint.
The husband, 65, told police he answered the front door and three men wearing dark clothing and masks over their faces barged in. Two of the robbers ransacked the house while the other forced the husband upstairs at gunpoint, ordering him to search for cash, according to charging documents.
Upstairs they found the wife, 66, who was ordered to the ground and told to “be quiet or she would be shot,” the records state.
An investigation led police to a home on Proctor Place, which Fort and Quayshawn DeAngelo Jenifer, 20, were seen leaving together. Both men fled as officers approached them, but each was apprehended nearby. Fort admitted to his involvement in the robbery, police said.
Police arrested a third man, Carterrys Abednega Morgan, 21, inside the house, where police found items that had been stolen from the couple’s home, the documents state.
All three men were charged with armed robbery, assault, burglary and theft. Morgan was ordered held without bond Jan. 30, while Fort and Jenifer were released Jan. 27 and 29, respectively, on $50,000 bond each.
The three were indicted Feb. 17 and are scheduled to stand trial June 12.
Fort was released on his own recognizance following his arrest Saturday night, but the Charles County Circuit Court rescinded his pretrial release in the January case and Wednesday issued a warrant for his arrest, according to online court records.